Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Let Freedom Ring - Day 4

Vietnam 67-68

I was drafted into the Army in 1966.  After basic training, radio school and radio teletype school, I was sent to South Vietnam.  Most of my time was at base camp in Bien Hoa, just north of Siagon, providing communications support for various units.  At one point I was assigned to provide communications for the 199th light infantry and we wound up about seven miles from the Cambodian border.  I was fortunate not to be directly involved in combat and I have only my Heavenly Father to thank for that.
The Korean and Vietnam wars marked a change in the purpose of war.  We were no longer attempting to defeat an enemy, occupy their territory and bring about a complete unconditional surrender.  Instead we seemed to be content with containing an adversary and negotiating a peaceful co-existence situation. It didn't work in Vietnam.  I don't think it ever works.



1 comment:

  1. I don't think it will ever work either, but they keep trying. The world is a far different place now. Far different.

    Thank you for your service. ☺

    ReplyDelete