Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Inspiration Thursday

Speed to Burn
Back in the twentieth century (the mid sixties to be exact), when I was in high school, there were far fewer sports for student athletes to choose to participate in, at least in Oklahoma. In the fall, there was FOOTBALL...period!
Winter brought basketball and wrestling (and wrestling was king in Oklahoma).  When spring came, baseball, swimming, and track & field were offered.  My choices were football, rest, baseball.  I only participated in track on an intramural level.  My 100m time was good for high school.  My long jump distance was just shy of 24 feet.  My distance running was abysmal.  I didn't like the mile and I hated the 800m.  200m was as far as I cared to run at one time.  Whenever we had to run a mile for time, I ran just fast enough to get a grade of "A".  If 6 min. and 30 seconds got me an "A", I ran somewhere between 6:05 and 6:20.  However, when it came to the long jump, I was always trying to figure out how to jump farther.  A new personal record was always my goal.  It was a matter of love for the event that determined my priorities.
The priorities that we set in our lives have a lot to do with our success and happiness in this life.  This world would tell you that you need to work more jobs, longer hours, and put out a stronger effort than anyone else in order to be successful, make more money, and be happy.  Some of the most miserable people I have ever met are those who are caught up in the rat race.  True happiness comes from God and God alone.
In the Bible, Jesus himself says, "I have come that you might have life, and have it more abundantly." An abundant life is not filled with diplomas, medals, possessions, or positions of honor.  An abundant life is filled with peace, joy, strength, comfort, love, and humility.  All of these things come from the Creator through His son, Jesus Christ.  While I was never a distance runner in high school, life is not a sprint, it is a marathon and we are all in it for the long haul.  The race of life is worth the extra effort necessary to finish well.  That effort includes prayer, study of Gods word, worship, and obedience to the instructions of the greatest "life coach" of all...God Almighty.


3 comments:

  1. I was the runner in high school. Okay, I loved sports a lot. I was very athletic, but there wasn't a lot for girls back then. Not like today.

    Loved the video.

    Have a blessed day my friend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6'30" is a good challenge for the half mile for me!
    You speak the truth Driller. Some of my childhood friends have advanced a lot further than I have but I feel sorry for them. Such sarcastic, bitter, jaded people they have turned into.
    You can tell somebody's priorities really easy, don't listen to what they say see what they do with their time and money and you will have a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great shot of the runner.
    I hope you'll come visit at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/03/springtime-at-last.html, and may God's blessings be with you today!

    ReplyDelete